Augmented reality (AR) is changing the way we interact and perceive the world since the new technology combines reality and digital information into one stream. It provides a live view of a physical, natural environment whose elements are augmented by electronic video, graphics, sound, and GPS data.
According to the report of Juniper Research, the market for mobile augmented reality services is expected to reach $732 million by 2014, with revenues derived mainly from downloads of paid apps, subscription-based services, and advertising. Mobile surfing becomes faster and the adoption of smartphones with AR enablers such as digital compasses and accelerometers increases. Juniper Research forecasts that there will be around 350 million AR-enabled handsets by 2014.
Here are the 10 secrets of mobile augmented reality:
2. Augmented reality is a digital layer of metadata about physical objects that end-users are able to view on the screens of their smartphones.
3. The software in AR devices detects physical objects, which have been geotagged, with the help of advanced image recognition and computer vision technologies.
4. Mobile augmented reality allows the construction of controllable interactive environments containing sensors and actuators that generate digital images and buttons, links to websites, videos, etc.
5. Mobile AR technologies create new opportunities in location-based search, social networking, education, history, tourism, arts, marketing, commerce, healthcare, sports, technical instruction, real estate, gaming, translation services, and more.
6. The new technologies can be translated into additional revenues. Thus, AR advertising is expected to be increasingly attractive to vendors, brands, and retailers. For now, innovative mobile AR services are primarily used as a gimmick.
7. Mobile AR enhances players’ gaming experience by providing exciting new ways to control their actions, through positions and 3D movements.
8. AR turns the world around us into a canvas and the handsets into the new remote control of our personal daily lives. The possibilities here are limited mainly by imagination.
9. With AR you can create an almost endless number of personalized experiences.
10. In the near future experts predict a wider acceptance of mobile AR.
Android handsets and iPhones can provide a truly immersive augmented reality experience. Mobile AR browsers allow users to explore their surroundings just by pointing their phone cameras around. This technology generates great interest and public awareness. Nowadays, many business observers identify AR as one of the next big trends, and a large number of companies in the most heterogeneous markets are embracing AR as their path to innovation. Mobile AR is believed to explode to new heights in advertising, publishing, gaming, and in our everyday life’s.
Industries and Technology Areas:
Industries: mobile augmented reality, advertising, entertainment, lifestyle, healthcare, education, social networking, games, mobile application development
Technology Areas: mobile augmented reality, mobile application development, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Android, smartphone, tablet